Sunday, September 23, 2012

Get down on the ground!

Day 3

When I logged off, I was in a warehouse on the docks of the city of Chernogorsk, or "Cherno" as most survivors call it. I logged back in, safe and sound and I took a few minutes to survey what loot was available in the room. All I could see was a tire and a jerry can full of gasoline. Being that I didn't have a car, nor any idea of how to find one, I left those alone. So, do I sit in my "home" for a little while or make my way out in the scary world? Unfortunately, that wasn't a decision I had to make for myself. As I was walking towards the large hangar style doors in the warehouse, all of a sudden they swung open. Four heavily armed men in ghillie suits ran through the door and trained their guns on me. "Get down on the ground! Get down on the ground! Get in the corner, lay down, and drop your gun."

Hoolleee shiiiit.
Assaulted by 4 green Chewbaccas in rubber boots.












I have to say, in addition to being very surprised, I was genuinely terrified. I had no idea what these guys planned to do with me. Were they just going to rob me and let me go? Did they plan on killing me? I would soon find out. 

They surrounded me, closed the door,  and trained their guns on me. After I got on the ground and fumbled to figure out how to drop my gun, they went through my inventory to see if I had anything they wanted. Judging by the gear they had, the answer was no, so they decided they just wanted to mess with me. Before they started, somehow one of their members died... I'm guessing he was bleeding and somehow didn't notice but one second he was there then the next he was on the ground. They flipped out. They weren't sure what happened and they weren't sure if I had anything to do with it. I thought this might be the end for me here. They had decided he died of his own stupidity fortunately. So they were back to messing with me. They handed me an axe and told me to attack the jerry can. I don't think any of us knew if it would actually do anything. After a few seconds of nothing happening, I decided this was going nowhere. I couldn't wait anymore to see what ridiculousness they had planned next. I stood up and made a break for the door. It took them a few seconds to realize I was bolting so I managed to get the door open and round the corner before they managed to gun me down.
















...As I sat there with my jaw agape, I couldn't believe the experience I just had. I was accosted in a video game and I really felt fear. I had spent some time with my character to get the gear he had and out of nowhere some random strangers decided to torture another player. What can I do about this? If I start over, will I run into the same thing again? Is this how the world will be? I sat there for a minute trying to decide my next next move. Finally, it hit me. How can I get back at these guys when they are so well armed compared to me, especially when I'm going to re-spawn with no gun? 

I can use arguably the most dangerous weapon in the game... the zombies. I have my plan. I spawn on the beach and try and find out where I am. I spawn about two towns  away from Cherno and I make my move. I start running full speed towards Cherno. Along the way, I try to get as close to every building I can see and round up any zombie that spots me.

I suppose I should take a second to talk about how zombies move in the game. When you see a zombie from a distance, they're moving in one of their pre-defined styles. They walk in a random pattern Romero zombie type pace. If they see or hear you however, they'll let out a growl and the chase is on. As long as they're on open ground, they can do a pretty good job at keeping up to you. The best way to lose a chasing horde is to make your way into some cover. If you zigzag through some buildings or trees and manage to get out of their line of site then you can typically hide them out. Another way to escape your pursuers is to use the buildings. The zombies stop running whenever they get indoors, so if you can lure them inside a building and make your way back out, then you have another good chance of getting away.


Free brain muffins... This way.













Back to my plan... So I stayed in the open and tried to get as big of a tail as possible. I had managed to get anywhere from 5 to 7 zombies at a time following me. Occasionally I would have to slow down to keep them on me but even though it took me about 5 minutes, I managed to make it back to the Cherno docks with a trail of the undead. I headed towards my warehouse, opened the hangar door, and... they weren't there... except a dead body. I closed the door behind me and my zombie trail wandered off.

One of the guys who had accosted me had apparently got what was coming to him. After inspecting the body, it said he was shot in the head. I assume one of his buddies took him out just to be a jerk. I wasn't going to waste this opportunity. I went through all of his gear and man was he loaded. He had the biggest backpack, nice guns, tons of ammo, the works. I took it all and tried to decide where to head out of town.

Next: Castle Grayskull.

No comments:

Post a Comment