Monday, September 10, 2012

Second Life

On my next birth, I have a little better idea of what I'm doing. I still have no idea how to use a gun but I'm hoping I can find one this time around. 

This time I started with some buildings in sight. From what I can see I think it may be one of the 2 big cities on the map. I should mention that when you spawn, the name of the town or area you're in pops up on the screen for a moment. a. I don't speak or read Russian very well so they all sound the same to me. and b. I don't have a map to know what that name means anyway. (You can find maps online, but taking time to read an online map while sitting around a zombie infested world could get you in trouble.)






















So I've heard a few things about this game and watched enough videos by now to know that cities mean two things: 1. Lots of buildings to find loot and supplies. 2. Other people. Now you may be thinking, "Yay people!", but this is a short lived thought. The problem with the apocalypse is that you're not the only one struggling to find supplies. Your odds are about even as to whether someone will ignore you when you bump into each other or shoot first and ask questions later. Chances are you have something on you they could use and either way there's one less person to fight over supplies with. I should point out that I am not a shoot first person unless I feel like I may be threatened but hopefully I won't have to test this often. 

I weigh my options and decide I will take my chances with the city. I tried the small town last time and it didn't work out great. I make my way along the shore towards the silhouetted buildings in the distance. As I make my way along the shore I make sure to keep my eye out for any snipers in the taller structures. So far the coast is clear. No zombies or survivors. I make my way to the dock area along the coast. There are a few buildings in sight. The first one I can see is a large dock crane. There are a few zombies around but they seem to be far enough away that I can make my way without egging them on. I see a ladder at the base so I decide to make my way up there to see if I can find anything. No supplies, but I get an excellent view of my surroundings.  I see a couple of high rise apartment type buildings that look promising and some other smaller places that look like they could be explored. 



Not me.












I head down and make my way into the heart of the city. Again, I'm always walking in a crouch and often slowly. I see zombies wandering all over the place but I make a path to a building that looks like I can enter it. It's a two story cafe that sits on a corner. I head in the entrance and I make my way behind the counter. Behind the counter is a curtain and an entryway to the upstairs area. As I make my way up the stairs and round the corner, pay-dirt! There's a pistol and some ammo on the ground. Woohoo! I pick it up and equip it then I make my way to the next room. Another gun! This time it's a revolver. I decide to stick with the one I have and keep moving (you have a limited amount of storage and can only really carry a sidearm and a rifle). The next room and I find some soda and a can of frank & beans. 



FRANK AND BEANS!!!











I now have everything I need to survive for a little while and I'm feeling confident. Not that confident though... I decide I need to make my way back out of the city before someone catches me that has a bigger gun and a craving for tomato and molasses sauce.  First I take in what I can. Looking out all of the windows, watching the zombies walk around the adjacent streets. I watch another survivor make his way through the lobby of a high rise near me.Not wanting to run into him, I decide to head out the way I came in and make my way back to the docks. In DayZ (and I would imagine real life), zombies pay attention to what they can see and what they can hear. I don't know about you, but a gun is usually something that can be heard from a pretty good distance. So rather than see how many zombies in a 12 block radius I can invite to chase me, unless I have to, I slowly make my way around their lumbering corpses. I head past the crane I scouted from initially, towards some storage containers and warehouses. Near the containers there were another handful of zombies. In these close quarters I had to crawl behind some weeds in order to not be noticed. So after a couple of minutes sliding, and pausing, and backing up, and moving around a corner, and moving forward again, on my belly, I find a warehouse with a giant set of double doors I can open. 



Home Sweet Home.









I make my way inside and find a nice open floor plan, a couple of loot drops with ammo and another coke can, and some car parts. I can sit in the corner and see the doors if someone opens them and I can hope that new gear will pop up occasionally. This looks like a nice place to set up shop and defend against the zombies for a little while.

I log off for the day.

Next: Robbed at gunpoint...

No comments:

Post a Comment